Thursday, November 19, 2009

thrifted :: spool display :: before & after

5_thursday

hold on to your seat! i'm about to reveal my all time favorite thrifty finds before & after project! i'm hoping you're as thrilled about it as i am. this project has been in my head for the last year or so and i'm so excited that it's finally complete!

a little back-story. i started collecting spools about 8 years ago or so. i loved them for their vintage qualities as well as their vibrant colors. my collection has grown quite a bit over the years and the large apothecary type jars i was displaying them in were overflowing. i needed a new way to display them that would also allow for more growth. (because, well, you never know when you'll find another great spool!) the following idea was born....

thrifted :: before & after

i spent my summer thrifting wooden boxes and/or display pieces. all different shapes and sizes. i then took them all and coated them in nice bright white to match the trim in our house. this process took me more hours that i can count. all the little nooks and crannies in those boxes was enough to drive me mad! but, i did it. i laid them out on the floor to determine the layout for the wall.

thrifted :: before & after

after lots of measuring and leveling, this is what i had. (there is a shelf missing in the lower left corner that was still drying when i took this photo).

thrifted :: before & after

then came the fun part! laying out all my spools and arranging them by color.

thrifted :: before & after

these are just some of my spools. i still have more, but only used my most favorite in this project. i knew i wanted to arrange the spools by color but didn't want it to look too much like a rainbow so i started out with blue and worked from there.

thrifted :: before & after

after 8 years of collecting spools and a summer of collecting the right display pieces, here is the final result. it is so exciting to see my idea a reality. what's even better is that it looks like i envisioned it. sometimes i get ideas in my head but then when i finish it, it's nothing like i thought it would be. i think this might be even better than i imagined!

thrifted :: before & after

a close-up of the lower left shelf.

thrifted :: before & after

the bench in this photo is another thrifty find from this summer. i love how it's so old and obviously vintage, but has such clean and modern lines. the epitome of my style. modern vintage. the suitcase underneath is also a thrifty find. one of my favorite finds at only $2!

thrifted :: before & after

this project is in our front entry hall. it's the first thing people see when they come in the front door, and the first thing i see when i come down the stairs in the morning. i don't think i can look at it without smiling. those bright and cheery colors just put an instant perma-grin on my face.

i hope you enjoy my thrifty hallway!

23 comments:

Jessi Schwartz said...

Lori-I've admired your creativity from afar but I couldn't not comment on this! How fantastic does that look? I am truly impressed!

Mandy said...

Lori, these are fabulous!!! It should be in a magazine.

Cassie said...

You are going to turn me into a thrify gal again! This is so colorful and fun! I actually also really love the pictures of the spools on the floor. Maybe you could blow one of those up and hang it somewhere else? :)

Jan said...

wowie zowie!!! i am in love!!!!!!!! these look so cool and chic! what a great idea!!

patricia zapata said...

LOVE all the color! So pretty!

Anonymous said...

This is FANTASTIC! How awesome that a) you had this vision and B) the vision matched reality in the end! Kudos!

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! I love that it is colorful, incorporates your collection, and was thrifty!

Fiona Cartolina said...

OMG this looks fantastic - you should have your own show!!

Clair said...

Freakin' awesome!

the green gal said...

The textures and colours of the spools are amazing on their own. But when you put them together on the shelves on the wall they become a bona fide piece of art! Absolutely gorgeous. (And I wish I had a hallway big enough to put anything in, actually I wish I had a hallway at all, not just a porch!)

Julie said...

Wow! What an impact that makes on your wall! When you said "spools" I was thinking empty wooden spools - I had no idea they had colorful textiles on them. You've outdone yourself!

Leslie said...

Gorgeous, Lori! I have two of those boxes, and yep! They're a pain to paint! Thanks for the inspiration

Okay, and now may I request a home tour as well?! :)

Molly said...

Looks so gorgeous Lori! I love love love vintage spools (I have a bunch inherited in my grandmother's sewing box) and now I'm inspired to showcase them!

Anonymous said...

love, love, love, love, love!!!
--kelli jo

Diane said...

THAT is amazing! You need to start posting your time management tips; I don't know how you do it all!!!

John Heil said...

ok that is so freakin awesome. what a collection!!

Hannah Chandler. said...

This. Is. Fantastic. Holy. Moley.

dottie angel said...

how amazing are you! to turn your addictive 'spool' habit into wall art! i'm blown away by the beauty of it... i find sewing notions to be lovely in their own right but you have taken them and made them shine in all their glory.
thanks for showing me :)

Unknown said...

oh i just found this from dottie angel...... it is perfectly lovely!!!

A Life So Peachy said...

WOW. These are awesome. the colours, the shapes... everything about this is just lovely!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I just stopped over from Tif's blog (Dottie Angel). This is so pretty! I love how you've coordinated everything in the colors of the rainbow. So simply and beautiful against the white.

~ Jennifer

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

'simple'. :)

Cristina Martins said...

That's great!
You have an amazing blog, Lori!
Just have one question:
How do you clean all these?
;o)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin